Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProfitPioneers Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 15:02:20
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (462)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- AP News Digest - California
- Civil rights groups ask to extend voter registration deadlines in hurricane-ravaged states
- Video shows 'world's fanciest' McDonald's, complete with grand piano, gutted by Helene
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Eminem's Daughter Hailie Jade Shares Clever Way She Hid Her Pregnancy at Her Wedding
- Major cases before the Supreme Court deal with transgender rights, guns, nuclear waste and vapes
- A coal miner killed on the job in West Virginia is the 10th in US this year, surpassing 2023 total
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Vanderbilt pulls off stunning upset of No. 2 Alabama to complicate playoff picture
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Las Vegas Aces need 'edge' to repeat as WNBA champs. Kelsey Plum is happy to provide it.
- Artem Chigvintsev Responds After Nikki Garcia Says He Attacked Her
- Halloweentown’s Kimberly J. Brown Reveals Where Marnie Is Today
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- 2 sisters from Egypt were among those killed in Mexican army shooting
- Regulators investigate possible braking error in over 360,000 Ford crossover SUVs
- Why Tom Selleck Was Frustrated Amid Blue Bloods Coming to an End
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Mets find more late magic, rallying to stun Phillies in NLDS opener
Opinion: KhaDarel Hodge is perfect hero for Falcons in another odds-defying finish
A week after Helene hit, thousands still without water struggle to find enough
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Mets find more late magic, rallying to stun Phillies in NLDS opener
LeQuint Allen scores 4 TDs as Syracuse upsets No. 23 UNLV in overtime
Banana Republic Outlet’s 50% off Everything Sale, Plus an Extra 20% Is Iconic - Get a $180 Coat for $72